[TR] oil science and break-in question

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Thu Mar 7 21:20:05 MST 2013

I'd tend to continue to use oils with a higher ZDDP level than the
run of the mill oil.  There are some varieties that aren't terribly
expensive.  Valvoline makes a few (like the VR-1 line), I think
Castrol has seen the light on one or two of its oils too.

Part of the equation is how much force is being placed on the tappet
- having heavy valve springs and a high lift cam certainly can
increase the forces and make the engine more sensitive to this, but
the forces placed on the tappet are kind of one of those black art
things.  A low lift cam with improper ramps can cause all sorts of
interesting / bad forces.

Just using high ZDDP for break-in doesn't protect the cam and tappets
for life.  But the break-in period (especially the first 20 minutes
after the rebuild) are very key to getting the cam and tappets happy
with each other.

Tony Drews