[TR] When to rebuild

Ed Oot eoot at citlink.net
Thu Mar 7 13:43:23 MST 2013

Curious about the opinions of the list on this.  Question is in regard to
TR3, but I suppose is applicable to any LBC.  When, if ever. Is a rear main
oil leak significant enough to warrant a rebuild.  I don't know for positive
but I do not believe this motor has been rebuilt in the last 15 years (or
so).  However, the car runs strong, does not burn oil, has great oil
pressure and compression, and would seem to have no other reason to rebuild
other than the leak.  I have not tried to measure the amount of oil that
leaks out after good run, but we are not talking drips.  I would call it
more of small puddle.  At one time I thought that it may have been the oil
pan, but I have had that off 3 times and have re-installed per all the
direction from the list, so I don't believe that is a factor.  I do believe
there is a leak from the front sealing block , but doesn't appear to be the
major culprit. Seems a shame to rebuild a perfectly good running motor.
But????

Thanks

Ed