[TR] Why is the TR3 Hard Starting?

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Mar 4 10:24:45 MST 2013

>      My TR3 is hard starting in the winter. It is garage kept
> and the garage has been in the 60's inside. After not driving
> for 3 weeks it cranks slower than I would like and tries to
> start and dies. It eventually will start. It starts easily
> for the rest of the day. Then next day it starts readily as well.

Sounds to me like multiple (tho possibly related) problems.

Cold weather is a quadruple whammy: batteries lose a lot of performance when
they are cold, it's harder for the spark to jump the gap, fuel doesn't want
to vaporize, and the engine is harder to turn.  Cold weather basically
brings out the worst, so a lot of marginal problems only show up when the
engine is cold.

I would probably start by finding some place that can do a battery load test
and starter current test.  I know O'Reillys will do it for free, not sure
about NAPA or AutoZone (so call around first).  Even if they don't spot a
problem with it, might be worth pulling the starter for inspection.  I had
one where the drive end bushing was worn until the armature was rubbing on
the pole pieces, that didn't like to crank in cold weather but worked OK
when it was warm.

You can also try cranking for about 30 seconds with a coil wire off, and
then feeling the battery posts and other connections to the starter
(including the grounds and solenoid body).  If something is hot, you found a
bad connection.

Be sure the choke is lowering both jets by at least 1/4" and roughly the
same amount.  My TR likes lots of choke when the weather is cold (but back
off by about half as soon as the engine fires to avoid black smoke and
washing the cylinder walls).

I'm assuming you have reasonably thin oil, fresh plugs and so on.

-- Randall