[TR] Overdrive Diagnosis

George Haynes ghaynestr4 at aol.com
Sun Jun 30 21:32:06 MDT 2013

The overdrive quit in my TR4A.  Topped up the transmission oil; no joy.

Investigating shows the solenoid is electrically energized but it needs a little push to actuate.  Then the plunger remains engaged until electrically disengaged.  I suspect the pull-in coil is shot and only the holding coil is working.  I think I need a new solenoid.  I removed it for bench testing which was inconclusive because the solenoid isn't doing any work.  I'd like a second opinion before I order a new one.
Thanks for your thoughts,
George Haynes