[TR] 3D printing is here...

Brian Induni 308gtsi at roadrunner.com
Mon Jun 17 12:05:51 MDT 2013

Don,
I agree! I have a small 3D printer and it is incredible to be able to make
anything you can think of (well, almost!). Of course, the tough part is
learning the CAD software required to be able to "print" a part.

Brian

...and additive manufacturing is expected to have big impacts on a number of
industries.  One of the areas is spare parts, where complex parts, expensive
inventory, and logistics needs are driving a lot of high-buck equipment
folks to look at it.

There will almost certainly be impacts on classic car parts, too. It's
already starting. The July 2013 issue of Thoroughbred and Classic Cars has a
tiny mention of Noble House, a Dutch Aston company, who have been making
plastic and metal parts since July 2011. They mention a DBS airbox in
plastic, steel DB4 door hinges, and a baffled oil sump.

Over the long term there will be many
Triumph parts made this way, we can be sure.  The technology is just getting
started.