[TR] Moss TR6 spin on oil filter conversion

Dave Massey dave1massey at cs.com
Sat Jun 15 04:59:11 MDT 2013

 Where is it leaking?  I got one second hand (about twenty years ago) and the
bolt was too long.  I think there is a piece missing.  A piece that works with
an O-ring or two to seal off the bolt.  In a pinch I stacked up a couple of
washers slathered with gasket sealer and bolted it on.  It didn't so much as
leak as it weeped.  More recently I bought a small bag of sealing washers
(http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-sealing-washers/=n79sn1) to do it up right.
Turns out the bolt was still too long (missing part) so I found a tight
fitting flat washer and between that and two sealing washers I got a good fit.
It works so well that the bolt head is now rusty.

If your leak is where the body fits into the annular seal check the sealing
ring.  A perennial problem here is too many rings.  An old ring may still be
in there and not sealing well.  Also the casting may not be true in which case
it will never seal.  This would qualify as a defective part.

I love my conversion.  I get oil pressure much more quickly upon startup and
changing filters is a little less messy.

Dave Massey