[TR] Replacement starter for my TR3A

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jun 8 01:32:37 MDT 2013

> I've been looking at the replacement Hi-Torq starter (Moss and others) for
> my post-TS50000 TR3A. Is this a straightforward plug-and-play replacement
> part, or is some modification involved? Any satisfied listers out there
> who
> have installed this part?

I've been running the later style starter since 2001 (even though both cars
have been pre-TS50k), been quite happy with it.  Lately I've been starting
to suspect it needs attention, as the engine doesn't spin quite as fast as
it used to, but I haven't actually had it out to look yet.  Even with the
gear drive, I suppose that brushes and bushings can still wear out over
time.

The starter can be a direct bolt-on; but I chose to make two modifications:
I added a Helicoil to the transmission flange so I never have to fight with
that dang upper nut again; and I changed the wiring so the original solenoid
(which had lost part of its smoke before making the change) only switches
current to the new solenoid (on the starter).

Randall