[TR] TR3 Headlamp "Pull my hair out' Issues - Thank you.

Carl-TR cfmtr3a at verizon.net
Tue Jun 4 22:11:57 MDT 2013

Just a follow-up to let all know what I found

1) dimmer switch bad - no continuity from solidblue connection (middle) to
high beam side (double spade terminals)
2) test headlamp had high beam only
3) Bad relay on low beam side

No wonder nothing worked.....  I had spares of both the dimmer and relay.
Found an old headlamp I could use to test (not sure what it was from - it
was a large hi/low rectangular lamp)

Spent a good 12 hours sorting it out.  4 blown fuses.  Original Test
headlamp now has no beams :^)
But the lights shine brightly now....

On to the tail lights and indicator lamps.   Hopefully much easier.   No
brake fluid yet so can't test that function until next week sometime.

Talked with the folks at AdvanceAutoWire - the fuses are on the lamp side of
the relay so that any short (which would probably occur at the lamps) would
not pass through the relay to eventually the switch.   There is a fuse on
both the low and high beam circuit.   Since I had a single hot wire feeding
into the relays from the control box through a second fuse box on the
firewall, I decided to go ahead and add one after the relays on the footwell
behind/above the dip switch.  I am putting P700 lamps with halogen bulbs on
the car and thought it might be prudent.  Perhaps that is overkill, but it
seemed to make sense in my feeble brain..

Later,