[TR] Insurance for TR3

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 16:45:28 MDT 2013

Carl --

I have Hagerty and am totally satisfied with them.  My only claim was a
windscreen but they were prompt and totally fair.

I previously had Condon & Skelly -- never had a claim there though I know
some who have and they were very well taken care of.

One factor for me was my umbrella policy with my everyday carrier... most
insurers do not want to write an umbrella if some of the cars are insured
elsewhere unless they have a close relationship with the other carrier.

Allstate has such a relationship with Hagerty.

Condon & Skelly had (and may still have) such a relationship with Met Life.

If you do need an umbrella and your carrier will not provide it with your
classic car insurance your can still get it from a third party -- just will
be an insurer you never heard of.  Your agent (or any decent agent) will
have access to such lines.

Hagerty limits your use -- definitely no commuting to work -- but the limit
is in how you use it rather than a miles figure and the restrictions are
not so strict that you cannot enjoy the car.

You can get a quote from their website (that way lets you play around with
some options and different valuations) and it should be exactly what the
final premium amount will be once you are accepted.  If, after using the
website, whether you get the coverage direct from Hagerty or thru an agent,
the amount will be the same.

The Hagerty site has a pretty good app for figuring the value of a
collector car based on specifics and condition.  Valuations are pretty
important in their business so they keep good data on that.

For all of my cars they have only required some photos be emailed to them
-- no appraisal was required.  They may have also wanted to see copies of
some paperwork such as the dec page on my other cars' coverage.  You do
have to have at least one other car per driver in the household (to assure
them no one will be using the collector car as their daily driver).

They readily agreed to the value I placed on the cars.  I have raised that
value a couple of times (usually once a year) with just a phone call.

Geo