[TR] Battery trickle charger

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Tue Jan 29 08:06:01 MST 2013

Actually, saying it is extremely important is a bit of hyperbole,
especially in a cranking application where the level of discharge is not very deep.
More important if you will be discharging deeply as in a wheel chair,
electric vehicle situation or a situation where you are powering accessories when
the engine is not running.  Since this is an RV the last might be the case.
(Of course, if that is the case I suggest two 12 volt batteries with an
isolator so that only one battery is used to power the devices saving the other
to start the engine regardless.  I also recommend a deep discharge model
for the battery powering the accessories and a cranking battery for starting.)
 What IS important is to load the batteries equally.  That means NO! 6V
loads that draw off only one battery.

I agree that two 12 volt batteries would probably be a better option.
MGB's were originally equipped with two six volt batteries but many owners have
converted to two 12 volt batteries in parallel.  Or just one 12 volt
battery.

Lead acid batteries are pretty robust and tolerate the occasional
overcharge without too much detriment so a one time charge upon initial installation
where the two batteries are not charged to an equal state will be fine
provided one isn't completely dead.

Dave