[TR] Your own T5 Conversion

Frank Fisher yellowtr3 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 14:06:07 MST 2013

Hey BillFor the last 15 years I have been running a manufacturing facility
that I had equipped with CNC machining centers.
Being an engineer Ibm always
up for a challenge.
The biggest challenge was the bell housing.
My first
thought with the Toyota trans was to take a big block of aluminum and machine
the heck out of it till I had a nice bell housing.
Thatbs what I really
wanted to do.
But I had some trouble finding a block of aluminum that size and
at a reasonable cost.
Next I contemplated cutting and welding the triumph
to a Toyota and then making a casting. I was going to get help from a little
specialty company here in los angeles called something like Barrios.
That too
was getting expensive.
Then my brother in law in Australia found a guy who
makes conversions for all kinds of cars and transmissions. So I reluctantly
sucked it up and bought one. Well 2. One for me and one for my BBF.
It
wasnbt how I wanted to do it, but $$ rule.
I did machine:
custom pilot
bushing
custom bracket to take the triumph standard slave cylinder.
Custom
slave cylinder push bar.
little machining on the bell housing to use the
standard Toyota thrust bearing fork.
Machine flywheel to accept Toyota
pressure plate and clutch plate.
Modify the prop shaft so its triumph one end
and Toyota the other.
And hence I had kinda made my own kit.
Ibm
willing to help friends who want to try their hand at it; I still have the cad
drawings of the parts.
Photographs also.
This list I consider friends for all
the help I get here.
But I donbt want to post on the web as an alternate
to Hermanbs kit. Herman is a fellow club member and does this as a source of
income. So I do not want to cut him out of his investment. Hebs a fine
fellow too.
I like the 5 speed. Itbs easy to shift into and rarely has
problems. You can hardly tell itbs not standard as I used the TR3 slave
cylinder.
And if the 5 speed dies they are replaceable at about 250.00 a time.
your not a million miles from me and one of these days we need to find a
1/2 point and share some refreshment, and show off my trans.
Frank