[TR] Penetrating oils

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jan 20 22:01:06 MST 2013

> "Machinist's Workshop" recently published information on
> various penetrating oils.

That was actually a long time ago, unless they republished the article.

> Ibve been using Kroil for years; NOW they tell me!

Results may vary.  I've tried "weasel pee" several times, and it does not
work as well as either Kroil or PB Blaster for me.  But I don't use it on
"scientifically rusted" bolts; nor do I particularly care how much torque it
takes to turn the bolt as long as I can remove it without twisting it off.
There is still a baby food jar of it sitting on the shelf, but I reach for
PBB first.

Oh, one other thing, neither Kroil nor PBB seem to do very much at first.
You have to let them soak to penetrate, the longer the better.  In severe
cases (like the long pins that locate the rear springs to the frame on a
TR3), I'll let it soak for weeks (with occasional BFH taps to help the
penetration).  Since the weasel pee separates in a matter of minutes, I
can't imagine that soaking helps much with it.

PS, if anyone knows the actual issue of MW, would you pass it along to me?

-- Randall