[TR] Instrument Rebuilding

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jan 14 15:20:24 MST 2013

---- "William C. Quincy" <wquincy at cox.net> wrote:

> P.S. the temp gauge is from a early TR4 so it's electric.

Don't forget, that means it needs the voltage stabilizer in the circuit.  Without the stabilizer it will read way high even after being "repaired".

I did my own, so no feedback on the best service to use.

Recalibrating the speedo was a fun and educational project, I'll have to write it up some day.  Basically I rigged my soldering gun as a demagnetizer (using a bolt and some wire) to weaken the flying magnet inside the speedo.  That worked a little too well, so then I had to remagnetize it using a horseshoe electromagnet that I quickly made from a muffler clamp, some insulated wire, and a couple of big capacitors.  Then the second time I was a little more careful with the soldering gun degausser, and got it just right.  (According to the electronic tach I got from Harbor Freight, which may not be the best reference.)
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-contact-tachometer-66400.html

Randall