[TR] TR4 Bonnet Alignment

pbrandsema at triad.rr.com pbrandsema at triad.rr.com
Sun Jan 6 18:03:53 MST 2013

I've had my TR4 on the road now for about 10 years, and one of the things that I've always wanted to fix is the alignment of the bonnet.  I will say that with a friends help, I was the last person to install it.  I thought we had done the best job we could at the time, but ended up with large differences between the gaps between the sides.  Also, I have gaps on each side at the front end.  It almost seems as if the wings should bend to match the contour of the bonnet.  I tried to made adjustments using the slotted holes in the hinges, but there isn't really any movement side to side.  Would it help to enlarge the slotted holes?

I'm looking for advice on how to properly adjust the inner wings which are welded to the tub.  I already have the bonnet off the car, and am planning on removing the wings next. Should I just use the dimensional width of the bonnet, adding the appropriate amount of distance for the gaps?  What's the best way to bend the mounting edge for the wings?

Thanks
Paul
61 TR4