[TR] Waking a sleeping car

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Thu Feb 28 16:18:56 MST 2013

>A short time ago someone posted a link for a check list to wake a sleeping
>car. I think it came from an MG page, but it had a detailed check list of
>what to do to prepare a car that has not been run in years to start etc. I
>printed out and misplaced it.

Well, a number of things come to mind.

One, of course, is never run the old gas.  Even if it starts, it will varnish everything in sight to some degree.  While you're at it, stick a magnet in the gas tank to see if it collects a pod of rust.

Two, change the oil.  After all that time sitting, oil can get pretty moisture-laden and sludgy.  You'll want the best lubrication possible on initial fire.  Make that ANY fire.  It wouldn't hurt to put a little oil in the top of the cylinders to get immediate lubrication on fire.  While you're at it, check the spark plugs for rust or old fouling.  If anal, pull the head cover and pour oil over the rocker.  If you're going to drive the car, change the oil in the transmission and differential also.  If you have grease points, chip away the rocks that your old grease became, and re-lube all nipples.  Don't forget the drive shaft.

Three, check the air cleaners.  Clean or replace.  Mice have a habit of roosting in them.  You can chase your tail wondering why the engine doesn't run right, otherwise.

Four, check the throttle linkage to make sure it hasn't stuck itself over time.  Don't want to race the engine at 9 grand on fire.

Five, do not...do not...do not...trust your brakes.  Anything other than silicone brake fluid absorbs moisture and rots brake lines from the inside out.  You might not even know you had a brake problem until you're stretching your hand out to shake hands with St. Peter.

Six, have a home brew.  Have two.  Softens the blows that are to come.

Your experience may vary...etc...etc...etc.