[TR] Waking a sleeping car

davehogye dlhogye at comcast.net
Wed Feb 27 21:26:54 MST 2013

I recently started a car that had been in storage for at least 12 years. Relatively dry storage in my garage/shop in Santa Cruz, Ca. A 1963 Ford Galaxie 390XL that I bought as my first car in 1979. It didn't start immediately, probably a good thing. I had drained the gas when I parked it, or periodically siphoned it for use in the garden tractor, and ran the carb dry. I put some fresh gas in the tank and primed the carb before cranking it over. Cranked it for a bit, but no fire. Fiddled with the points with the key in the on position. No spark at first followed by good spark. I replaced the cap and it fired right up, just like it had the last time I ran it. It's been running great since then.
So I'd say put some fresh gas in it disconnect the coil wire, make sure that oil has circulated though the motor, reconnect the coil wire then give it a go. If it doesn't start, check for spark and fuel.
Good luck,
Dave H.