[TR] TR6 Door Skin Installation

D&B Lambert blambert at socal.rr.com
Sun Feb 24 23:20:40 MST 2013

After removing the paint from the drivers door on my 71 TR6 restoration
project I find that door has sustained accident damage some time in it's
past and was apparently repaired by the cheapest, fastest method: plenty of
filler.  No rust on the door, just lots and lots of bondo - about 3/8 of an
inch in places.  Can anyone comment on the difficulty of installing a new
door skin?  The door frame seems to be fine.  I could try to tap out the
dents and shrink the panel back into shape, but my body working skills are
somewhat mediocre. Any been-there-done-that experience in installing new
door skins that anybody can relate?  Door skins are not cheap, but I'm not
wanting to simply re-stuff the door with bondo like some DPO was.

As always, thanks.

Dennis

Orange, CA