[TR] Replacing TR2 gearbox with TR6 gearbox

Chris Simo ccsimonsen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 15:36:15 MST 2013

I have a longdoor TR2 - The original transmission is not an overdrive and
was, well overdue for a rebuild. I put a TR4 transmission in the car for
now and  I'm looking for an old overdrive I can rebuild and I'll put that
in there next.

I've saved the original transmission for the future caretaker of this car.
 I've kept all the original bits and boxed them carefully for the future
owner. I recommend you do the same.

The TR4 transmission was still a bit of work to fit.  Slotted the
transmission mount and also loosened up the motor mounts and pulled the
engine as far forward as any slop would allow. It's just a bit longer than
the TR2 but fit and all covers bolt down nicely.  Clutch slave cylinder
bolted up just fine .  I seem to recall the TR4 transmission flange is
thicker than the TR2 so it may be a similar exercise to fit the tr6
transmission. No issues with driveshaft.  If unsure - I'd go ahead and
replace the universal joints while you have it out.

Since you have an early TR2 - you'll have the push pull overdrive switch
that fits into the dash  vs the toggle switch version.  I'd connect that to
an external relay and control the overdrive wiring that way.

I still want an overdrive,  I feel so bad when I take the TR2 on the
highway and the RPMs are over 4000 to get to 70mph.  It must have a low
gear in the diff.

Until then, we'll motor on and stay off the big roads as much as possible.