[TR] TR4 steering rack - steers and tracks nicely - but steering shaft can move in/out 1/4 inch

Allen Hess allenhess at mgcarclub.com
Mon Feb 11 16:11:26 MST 2013

I don't think it is the thrust washers or the rack. There are four
splined joints between the wheel and the rack (two for each rubber u-
joint). This is what I found, also on a '63. For whatever reason,
these splines wear and try as you might, you cannot tighten the bolt
to clamp the shaft. It will be "good enough" because the bolt passes
through a groove in the shaft and the joints won't come apart, but it
will be just loose enough to push and pull the steering wheel about a
1/4 inch. I got another joint from a friend that was a little bit
better. I don't know what is available new.

Allen