[TR] TR6 Convertible Top

Dave Murphy roadwarriordave at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 30 22:29:47 MST 2013

Jeff,
I put a new black Sunfast canvas top on my TR6 this year.

I'd lived with the original vinyl top since I bought the car new in 1977. I
made the mistake of putting the top down one 60F winter day in 1978 and not
raising it back up until after supper when the temperature was back in the
thirties. I had to forcefully stretch the top to latch it to the windshield
header and ever since that day the top became too narrow to meet the velcro on
the side rails.

Even when new I never liked the appearance of that original vinyl top and I
almost never used it except in an emergency, so that in 2013 it still looked
about the same as it had in 1979.

The new top meets up at the windows is as it should and the velcro attaches to
the side rails. The zip out back window works well.

The new canvas material is a little thicker than the original vinyl material
and it is slightly bulkier to fold. The Sunfast canvas will pick up lint from
a cloth towel and leather flakes from an old chamois - but a sticky-backed
lint roller takes care of that.

The new Sunfast canvas top looks so much more elegant than did the original
vinyl top. Maybe it's because there are no reflective stripes. Or maybe it's
because its deeper matt black color contrasts more with the Java Green car!

I almost always leave the top up now. (I don't think I'd say that about a new
vinyl top.)

-Dave Murphy, Dearborn MI, ''76 TR6.