[TR] Flushing Brake System

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 08:58:56 MDT 2013

On 8/29/13 1:46 PM, William Brewer wrote:
>       What does one use to flush out the brake hydraulic system when converting
> over to Dot 5? I think that they say "methylated spirits" or something like
> that. What does that mean in American English? Does lacquer thinner work or
> does that eat up the plastic parts? I may just blow it out and then flush the
> Dot 5 through.

Just regular rubbing alcohol would do the job.  You should replace all
the rubber in the system as well.  new flex hoses & new cylinder
pistons.  DOT4 and DOT 5 both affect the properties of the rubber but in
different ways.  You can end up with a seal leak if they have had long
term exposure to both types of fluid.

TeriAnn