[TR] Fwd: External Oiler to Head

John Macartney flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 27 13:19:11 MDT 2013

George, I think opinion on these things is divided on this list but in my
experience in the majority of cases, the 'unknowing' fit this external feed
because they want to ensure an adequate supply of lube to the rockers. What
many never do is try to work out why the oil isn't getting where it should.
For normal road use and assuming your camshaft isn't worn into oblivion (and
therefore not pumping oil up to where it's needed) the most likely reason for
a restricted supply is dirt in the rocker shaft, dirt in the drillings of the
rocker pedestals and dirt in the outlets on the shaft to the rockers
themselves. David Ealey who designed the 4 and 6 cylinder engines adamantly
maintained an external feed was a waste of time and money as all the rockers
need (for normal road use) is a steady trickle. You'll find an hour or two of
stripping the rockers from the shaft, some de-greasing fluid and a thin rod of
welding wire as a sort of 'push' or 'pull' through and some compressed air is
all you need to ensure a satisfactory flow.
If you do this, then run the
engine on idle for five minutes or so with the valve cover off and watch oil
being flicked on to panelwork and around the engine itself, you'll be assured
the system is working as designed.

John