[TR] TR2/3 - transmission tunnel install

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 27 11:01:13 MDT 2013

> but what about the gear shift? Just the knob come
> off or does
> the entire lever come out?

With care, you can leave the whole thing in place.  But it probably makes
more sense to at least remove the knob, rather than risk getting it messy.

> I have to fish the o/d wiring through the
> hole in the side of the tunnel - is there a grommet supposed to be
> there? My tunnel is already carpeted (glued on), so this
> might be a problem.

FWIW, I gave up on using the hole in the side, routed the wires up the face
of the firewall and through a grommet up there instead.  Not "as original",
but more practical IMO.

> Anything I'm missing here or what to look out for?

Get all the bolts started first, by just a few threads so you have maximum
room to line up the next hole.  I find a tapered punch to be helpful
sometimes (put in one hole to line up the one next to it).  At the rear, I
use bolts that are longer than original to get it seated then later (maybe)
swap them out.  I use big flat washers (aka fender washers) ground to a
D-shape to spread the load as far as possible.

Randall