[TR] TR3 flasher test

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Aug 25 20:02:53 MDT 2013

---- CFM-TR <cfmtr3a at verizon.net> wrote:
> How would I test the flasher?   Tail lights & front lamps work ok when
> lights turned on.  but nothing happens when I turn on the turn signal.

They're kind of tricky, because the stock flasher is designed to only work within a narrow range of current.  In theory, that is to let you (the driver) know when a bulb is burned out.  You'll need about 4-5 amps, about 3 ohms (and 50 watts).  Probably easier to make up a dummy load from a couple of bulbs (but be sure to wire the stop/turn filament, as the tail filament doesn't draw enough current).

> I tried jumping from G to both output wires but nothing happened which makes
> me think it might be the flasher but not really sure.

That would lead me to believe just the opposite.  Did you have the ignition switch and turn switch both on at the time?  Check that there was still power on green with the jumper in place?  Jumpering green to one output should light the dash lamp, the other light both signals on the side selected at the switch.  If that doesn't work, fix it first and then go back to the flasher.

Randall