[TR] Installing a windshield in my TR4A (more information)

Jeff fishplate at charter.net
Sat Aug 24 07:36:06 MDT 2013

On 8/24/2013 8:44 AM, Dave Connitt wrote:
> I just came across a really informative Youtube video on installing
> windshields;
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr7Prioj9Xo
>
> I was planning on doing it completely differently, installing the gasket in
> the windshield frame first.. Need to find some of that 3M 8509 sealer..

I've done dozens of Volkswagen windows, which are similar to Triumphs.
Never done a Mustang, and so here's my comments, for what they're worth...

1.  I never used a sealer, never had a leak - when the frame and glass
are clean and intact, and the gasket is of good quality.

2.  I used a rope of somewhat smaller diameter than his - maybe 3/16" or
1/4" nylon.

3.  Lubricate the gasket with diluted dish soap.  Doesn't take much,
just make it a little slippery.

4.  I always cross or lap the rope at the bottom, so that you pull the
first end /past/ the second when you start.  This ensures that you get
the whole gasket lip over with the rope.

5.  He does the "slapping" just right - flat of the hand, not a fist.

6.  I used a short cotter pin puller with a dull tip to fix any of the
lip that didn't make it all the way over.  Then push the gasket into
place, just like you saw him do.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.