[TR] TR3A Fuel Gauge Wiring

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Aug 21 10:04:47 MDT 2013

> I just re-read your post. If the green wire to the gauge
> splits off to a second wire, that is a fused 12 volt supply
> and probably is where you would power the heater switch from.

In fact, I believe that is where the factory connected the heater on later
cars with the self-parking wiper motor.  The workshop manual talks about
connecting it to the wiper switch, but that would only work on early cars
without the self-park feature.

I don't believe the factory used a ground wire for the fuel gauge, but it is
a very worthwhile addition IMO.  Just a short jumper, with a ring terminal
to fit over the mounting post for the gauge, and the other end added to the
ground tie point on the back of the instrument panel right next to the
gauge.

-- Randall