[TR] TR3A REAR HUB REMOVAL

Gene and Barb Wellenstein ewellenstein at itol.com
Sun Aug 18 20:05:02 MDT 2013

I am the guilty party who fabricated the homemade tool Randall has
referenced.  I neglected to put any contact information in the write-up.

If anyone would like their hubs separated I am glad to do it for the
cost of shipping the axle/hubs back to the owner. I won't rebuild the
assembly but will do the separation.  The tool works very well and I
can usually send the separated assembly back to the owner the day
after I receive the parts so this minimizes downtime.

The biggest problem I encounter is that many hubs are somewhat bent
when received so I now throw the assembly in a lathe to check hub
runout before separating and let the owner know the findings before
doing any work.

With this tool the hub is supported on the front and rear face so
there is no "spring" in the assembly  when released therefore there
is no violent separation. It is hard to tell when the two pieces have
parted ways!!

The tool was interesting to design and time consuming to fabricate
but I suspect I am almost as stubborn as Randall (in that way).

Gene Wellenstein
Kewaunee,  WI