[TR] Brighter Dash Lights

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Tue Aug 13 22:24:45 MDT 2013

The lucas dash lights in old TRs, MGs, and Healeys, as well as probably most
other british stuff from the 50s and 60s, use what is called an E10 screw
base, if you google E10 LED you will get some options like this:

http://www.ledlight.com/e10-screw-base-auto-led-lights.aspx

http://autolumination.com/otherleds.htm

Couple things to remember, most if not all LEDs are polarity sensitive, if
made for cars they will probably be negative, ground, they are also more
directional, and a flashlight or spotlight type LED may not give you the
soft even glow you are looking for for dash lights, but they make multiple
light leds that shine in different directions, as well as lenses that
diffuse the light, also the shape may differ and the wider or longer ones
will probably not fit in your instrument light housing, I went with some
higher watt incandescents from LBCARCO for the dash lights, and an LED for
my turn signal indicator, which I could never see on a bright sunny day
before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3om56PrC9Rs  (before)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B80m6kPyero   (after)

Greg Lemon