[TR] TR4 engine hoist

Allen Hess allenhess at mgcarclub.com
Fri Aug 9 10:06:11 MDT 2013

I am getting ready to pull the engine and trans/OD from my TR4. I may
be able to borrow a crane/hoist from a garage, but I have been looking
at the Harbor Freight 1 ton which I can get for $99 with a coupon!
However, (you saw this coming) the maximum extension of the boom is
claimed to be 50" but that is the total boom length. The actual
distance from the fulcrum to the hook is about 38" and that is 500
lbs. From the center of the valve cover to the front bumper is 36".
The engine is stripped except for the head and that could come off
too. So the ability of this lift to do the job seems iffy.

Does anyone have experience with the HF 1 ton crane

http://www.harborfreight.com/shop-crane-1-ton-capacity-foldable-69512.html

Thanks,
Allen