[TR] TR2/3 - oil pressure adjustment

spook01@comcast.net spook01 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 2 13:29:56 MDT 2013

The 20 means it performs as a 20 wt. oil at -25 f limited to 4500 rpm.
The 50 means that at 210 degrees (which is considered a normal warm engine temp), it has the load capability of a 50 wt. oil.
The cold numbers are a "pourability" number, too.
One further thing:  the additives that allow this depletes as the oil is used because the additive "package" goes away through shearing and other factors, leaving you with a less effective oil.
A 20w-50 may wind up as a 20w-40. Using group four (4) pao synthetic oil does away with this problem since they don't have an additive package.  This is one reason they have longer change intervals.
Be sure its a group four synthetic.  Other groups may be just a more refined regular oil with less sulfer in it.
Interesting but not really germane for most of us.
As Randal says, good pressure, enjoy the drive!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone