[TR] Uncool Coolant Confusion

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Apr 23 15:59:00 MDT 2013

---- terryrs at comcast.net wrote:
> Block was boiled and cleaned.  New radiator.  Proven pistons and liners.  Only change I made was to bring the crankshaft thrust bearings within tolerances by going oversize.
> I'll break down and install an electric fan if this doesn't clear up this summer.
> Thoughts?

You didn't mention thermostat, nor checking that the temp gauge was still accurate.  Replace the water pump?  Grille? Air deflector?  Distributor?  Re-tune the carbs?

Could the exhaust have gotten partially clogged while you were working?  (eg mouse crawled into the pipe)

IMO if it is getting hot at speed, then an electric fan is not likely to help.  You're going to have to find the problem and fix it.

FWIW, I've had really persistent overheating problems 3 times now (with three different TR3/A).  First time, I'm pretty sure it was worn carb jets or it might have been the carb modifications (done by a previous owner).  Both second and third times, it proved to be a radiator that "couldn't possibly be bad", but was.  Sorry, that doesn't help much.

Randall