[TR] Electric Fuel Pump Placement?

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Wed Apr 17 12:05:21 MDT 2013

     I have tried various fuel pump locations on my TR3A. I routinely drive my
car hard in 100+ degrees in the summer, often while climbing a 4,000 foot
grade. Several times I thought the car was vapor locking. I had my electric
fuel pump on the left inner fender. I decided to move it lower and mounted it
down on the frame below the firewall. It was hard to see and get at and
whenever I changed the oil it got all over it. It also got coated with flung
oil and road grime. I didn't like it in the trunk either. I ended up mounting
it on the underside of the trunk floor upside down. If I want to check it out,
I do it with the wheel off when topping off the lever shock. It seems to stay
clean and cool and gravity prevents vapor lock.
     I used to have a NAPA
parts fuel pump that ran really smooth and quiet. I accidentally broke the
wires off it at the housing, which is the only time the TR didn't make it home
on its own power. That was when I had it mounted on the frame at the firewall.
I replaced the NAPA pump with a Facet pump and that thing periodically hammers
like a jack hammer and I hate it. It also vibrates a lot even with rubber
mounts. Next time I am in there I am going to put in a NAPA pump again.

 Good luck and drive safe.

     Bill in Tehachapi