[TR] TR6 performance

Dennis Culligan dctr6 at optonline.net
Tue Apr 16 13:31:11 MDT 2013

On Apr 15, 2013, at 12:27 PM, Frank Fisher wrote:

>drove my friends TR6 the other day and gave it a bit of stick.

>snip

>The one thing i did find a little funy was the way the back end moved
around.

>when driving realativly staright if i drove over say a crack in the road
the

>back would kind of jump to one side..just a little. no big deal. is that
kind

>of normal in an IRS?

Frank -

   I have a late 1976 TR6 that I've owned for 24 years.  The phenomenon you
are experiencing is what I've always called the "TR6 twitch". It seems to
happen when the rear end "unloads" after hitting a bump or after a weight
shift (like after you've gone around a curve and are straightening the
wheel). My car is in very good kit, as they say, and has a tube shock
conversion and a rear sway bar. I have no idea what causes this and have
gotten quite used to it over the years. I just had some alignment work done
and had adjustable trailing arm mounts installed - these should not make a
difference but we'll see what happens.

Dennis Culligan, Highland, NY/ 1976 TR6 CF57948U