[TR] panel lights on TR3

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Wed Apr 3 06:10:12 MDT 2013

In a message dated 4/2/2013 10:46:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
cfmtr3a at verizon.net writes:
> <snip>
>>1961 Triumph TR3A - TS81802LO
>

>  Randall=With that commission number, your starter should not have the
> bonded rubber drive that Dave M. mentioned.  If you have an early starter
> installed, that might be the problem.  The early starter used a smaller
pinion
> gear that will just barely engage with the later (smaller) ring gear.
> After just a little bit of wear, it slips.
>
> Dave= The other problem is that your (and my) starter has a rubber coupler
> in the bendix.
>

>  I do not recall a rubber coupler.  Without taking it out, is there a way
> to tell if I have an early or later starter?   Lucas Part number on the box
> was 25550 (it was new in box b date stamped July 1968).

My bad.  I blinked twice this mooning and realized I misread your
commission number.  I saw the TS and then I saw the 18 and made the connection
that
your number was close to mine (TS18xxx) so you probably had the same style
starter.  Please disregard. Although readers with early models may take this
to heart.

>  Randall=One of the things I did to make the starter easier to change was
> install a Heli-coil in the transmission flange for the upper starter bolt.
> Not having to mess with that nut makes the job a whole lot easier!  I just
> ran the tap in through the engine flange (where it cut threads that won't
> hurt anything) and then turned the insert in until it was entirely in the
> gearbox flange.  I'm not sure it would work every time (I run a TR6 gearbox
> with a thicker flange) but it sure worked a treat for me.
>
> Something to think about but maybe not now.
>

> Dave= Your starter problem may be one of the two following things.  The
> TR3 Starters The bendix extends by riding out on some reverse acme threads.
> It counts on inertia to spin more slowly than the motor to do so.  If there
> is insufficient lubrication (grease) the friction will be greater than the
> force resulting from the inertia and the bendix will not deploy properly.
> I had this issue on a 65 MGB and applying grease made it work like new
> again.
>

>  Is it possible to apply grease without taking it out b or should I just
> plan on taking on this task this Saturday.   It might be obvious if I was
> looking at the starter b but where?
>

> Dave= Does it spin as if totally unloaded for does it turn as loaded but
> still will not turn over the engine?
>

> It just spins b appears to be no contact with the ring gear.

Then I would hope it is a reluctant bendix.  I don't see how you can apply
grease to it without removing it.  That's what I did on my MG many years
ago.

It might be a bad spot on the ring gear.  Try pushing the car in gear to
turn the engine a bit and see if that changes anything.

Dave