[TR] panel lights on TR3

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Tue Apr 2 06:12:39 MDT 2013

Boy, all the descriptions sound like there is a current limiting device in
there (other than the fuse) but that is just crazy talk.  But it sounds like
something is overheating with sufficient current but if the current is
reduced below the threshold all is well.  Do they ALL flash in unison or just
one or a few?

Your starter problem may be one of the two following things.  The TR3
Starters The bendix extends by riding out on some reverse acme threads.  It
counts on inertia to spin more slowly than the motor to do so.  If there is
insufficient lubrication (grease) the friction will be greater than the force
resulting from the inertia and the bendix will not deploy properly.  I had this
issue on a 65 MGB and applying grease made it work like new again.

The other problem is that your (and my) starter has a rubber coupler in the
bendix.  If the bond between the rubber and metal parts fails the motor
will spin and the rubber/metal interface will slip and the engine will not
turn.  I have a starter on the shelf in the garage with this special feature.
You may need a bendix.  Does it spin as if totally unloaded for does it turn
as loaded but still will not turn over the engine?

Dave