[TR] Tr6 update

Chris Simo ccsimonsen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 20:36:46 MDT 2012

With the new job and everything, I have not posted in a while.

So... i bought an awesome tr6 for a good price, but it's not so awesome....

I've removed a good 15 ft of wire from the harness (melted wire).

The pertronix was wired wrong. 6v ballast not understood. Not sure if
damaged- replaced with points.

Weber carburetors looked awesome.

Timing totally off. Corrected but runs like crap. but it runs.

Huge clunk from the rear end when i shift into first. Jacked it up. Diff
seems to have over 30 degrees of rotational play.

Sooo.....

Found the carbs would not balance.  Engine just hunted around for an idle
point.  Pulled the filters and inserted the airflow meter. Balanced and no
joy.

Blocked off the front carb and engine dies. Blocked off rear carb and idle
increases.  Wierd. Intake leak? Hmm

More tweaking. Then realization.

Bending over and looking into the rear carb... omg. There musta been some
hot fire there.  The entire internals were once a hot molten mess. Total
meltdown. Buyers remorse setting in. And i lost a deep well 9/16ths
somewhere in the engine area (and it's not mine!)

Ditched the Webers for zeniths.  I rebuilt the ones from my buddy. Wow!
Pulled the fuel line off the carb and it squirted.  Crap.  Another
problem.  The gastank vent is clogged.  Now i understand. We were suffering
from fuel starvation. Need to work in the vent.

Today is good. Carbs rebuilt w/new shaft seals. Believe it or not, it
started in the first click. Only got better.

More to go, but feel i'm turning a corner.