[TR] Hope Springs Comments

Carl TR cfmtr3a at verizon.net
Wed Sep 26 13:27:18 MDT 2012

Well said.  Thank you.
Carl

On 09/26/12, TeriAnn J. Wakeman wrote:

On 9/26/12 6:31 AM, William Brewer wrote:
> Every one of them had a TR or MG story
> about their youth. One guy gave me a card and asked if he can buy my car if I
> ever sell it (sorry Charlie, no way). I love driving an old TR.

I few weeks ago my red TR3A was at the Flagstaff Route 66 car show. It
was parked next to a red 1957 Corvette. After checking out the other
cars in the show I mostly hung out by my car as did the owner of the
'Vette. Both of us occasionally let enthusiastic folks sit behind the
wheel so they could get their picture taken. What was interesting was
what people said.

My TR3 was the source of many people's past. Stories of high school and
college days. Of the fun and good times had by previous British sports
car owners, many of which sold their cars when a first child arrived.
My car was the stuff of remembered good times. Though I expect some
memories were a bit shinier and burned brighter than the actual
realities. It was also the stuff of longing for a simpler and maybe
happier past as many people said they would like to get another one.

The Corvette was the stuff of unrealized dreams. Of something bright
shiny and powerful they lusted for in high school and college but could
never afford in the days before family and "responsibilities" took their
tolls on their lusts and dreams. Whereas many people told stories of
past involvements with TRs almost no one mentioned a past involvement
with the 'Vette. Just always wanting one and it being out of their reach.

Most car show visitors just walked past most of the cars on display.
Maybe stopping to look in the engine bay and interior before moving on
the next of 400 and something cars lining the streets of down town
Flagstaff. But when they got to our pair of two seater sports cars a
constant stream of people had to stop and relate stories of dreams and
past experiences. Both cars were symbols of people's past, their car
lusts and dreams.

We noticed that the bigger corvette was of more interest to teenagers
old enough to drive and the much smaller TR3 attracted the most pre
teens. I think largely because it was so different than most of the
cars at the show and it was closer to their size. it seemed easier for
them to relate to a much smaller car. There were a lot of pictures
taken of pre teens sitting behind the wheel of my TR3 with one hand on
the steering wheel and an elbow resting on the door.

Noticeably more pictures were taken of people standing in front of the
TR than in front of the Vette. We both concluded that my car was the
stuff of memories though probably mostly idealized memories and
fantasies . His 57 Corvette was mostly the stuff of unreached fantasy.
Of dreams unobtained.

When the show was over I think both of us went home in the glow of
knowing that our realities were the stuff of so many other people's
dreams. Oil spots and all.

TeriAnn

** triumphs at autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html