[TR] Best Anti-Rust Coolant

Don Hiscock don.hiscock at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 20:43:15 MDT 2012

Mixing some other sort of molecule with water raises its boiling point
and depresses its freezing point.  Part of a set of properties called
"colligative properties" of materials.

Antifreeze has a real function -- irrespective of the heat capacity
advantages of water (and it makes an excellent heat transfer fluid),
ya got that pesky freezing point to deal with.  The ratio of ethylene
glycol (or other material -- nuthin' magic about glycol) to water
determines the freezing point depression.  Plenty of websites show
freezing point as a function of blend ratio -- your jug of ethylene
glycol should as well.  Adding more ethylene glycol than needed for
the temperatures expected reduces heat capacity of the fluid
unnessarily and wastes ethylene glycol.

Anti-boilover properties come along for the ride, but if you're adding
something to raise the boiling point of water in a TR you have bigger
issues.

Don

PS:  My mom smiled for years at the memory of my dad checking a
boiling over radiator before I was born by holding a match in the dark
to the filler neck.  Whoosh!  The alcohol vapors of the pre-ethylene
glycol antifreeze flashed and burned off his eyebrows.