[TR] Transmission Fastener Esoterica

Jeff fishplate at charter.net
Mon Sep 17 18:55:20 MDT 2012

List,

I'm finally able to put my transmission back in the car (1975 TR-6)
after several months of resealing and too hot to drive it anyway. There
are two 1/2" bolts that fasten the transmission end housing to the
mounting bracket.  The RH bolt, which is 1/4" longer than the LH, also
holds the "steady bracket" for the gearshift extension, and has a spacer
on it.  This bolt also calls for a jam nut instead of a regular bolt.

When I took all this apart, I don't recall seeing a spacer, and it's not
in my bolt bag.  This had been out at least once or twice before, so it
may have got lost.  I can't find any dimensions for the spacer.

So, two questions:

1.  How thick should it be?  It's easy for me to make one, if I know
what size.

2.  How important is it, anyway?  There must be some clearance issues,
since the jam nut is in there too, but I don't want to wait until it's
back in the car to find out I need to fiddle and fettle to make it fit
right.

TIA,
Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.