[TR] Turn signal/emerg flashers

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Sep 17 14:43:31 MDT 2012

> Is it possible to use the same turn signal indicator on the
> dash for the
> emergency flasher indicator? i.e. can I connect the two "P"
> terminals of
> the flashers together?

An interesting question.  I have not tried it, but I don't see any reason it
shouldn't work well enough.  At least with the flashers I have examined, "P"
is open circuit unless the flasher is in the middle of a flash.  In other
words, inside is a double throw relay with the turn signals connected to the
normally closed contact and the dash lamp connected to the normally open
contact.  When the relay pulls in, it breaks the circuit to the turn signals
and completes the circuit to the dash lamp.

The only potential oddity is that you might be able to find a condition
where constant power gets fed back into the ignition circuit; by doing
something like turning on the hazard flashers while the turn signals are
running.  And even then I think the effect would be momentary, the turn
flasher will stop flashing when it's load is removed (by the hazard switch).

But I would be tempted (as long as you're rewiring everything anyway), to
use a pair of diodes instead.  That way you could use 2-terminal flashers.
The diodes would need to connect from the two outputs of the hazard switch
(GR & GW) to the dash lamp; with the diode polarity to suit your battery
polarity so each diode will only pass current when the GR/GW wire is hot.

Not all 3-terminal flashers work the way I outlined above, but they won't
work properly anyway.

-- Randall