[TR] One last question

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Sep 16 11:35:19 MDT 2012

> If you have a known good IR thermometer, that will work, but
> I have had 2
> IR thermometers disagree by more than that. I don't trust the
> cheap ones
> anymore.

All IR thermometers are inherently inaccurate, if you don't know the
emissivity of the surface you point them at.  (To get an accurate reading,
it has to be compensated for emissivity.)  And weathered aluminum has an
unusually wide range of emissivity.  I can see 20F or more change in
reading, just by moving the spot by 1/4" or so; which I do not believe is
the unit's fault.

-- Randall