[TR] One last question

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 07:44:06 MDT 2012

On 9/15/12 10:35 PM, Randall wrote:
>> I just use chevy small block thermostats nowadays.
> Ditto.  Even the factory gave up on those aneroid monstrosities.
>
> -- Randall

Are you trying to tell me that the factory stopped putting sleeved
thermostats in the TR2-4A engine before the TR4A was discontinued???

The TR engine has 2 water paths. One to provide coolant to the head
while the thermostat is closed and the engine is below operating
temperature.  This path bypasses the radiator.  The other path is for an
engine at operating temperature which channels virtually all the coolant
through the radiator.  That sleeve on the thermostat acts as a valve
switching between the 2 coolant pathways.

A thermostat without the sleeve leaves both pathways open when the
engine is at operating temperature allowing coolant to take the path of
least resistance and bypass the radiator.  What good is the radiator if
a significant part of the coolant gets circulated through the engine
without visiting the radiator?

And if you block off the bypass, coolant does not get circulated through
the head during warm up causing localized boiling and thermal stress
that often results in a cracked head.

It is my current understanding that Smiths sold new sleeved thermostats
as replacements for at least 10-15 years after the TR3-4A engine was
discontinued.

The Land Rover four cylinder engine used a sleeve thermostat as well
until some time in the mid 1970s.  At that time the LR engineers
redesigned the thermostat housing to reduce the opening for the bypass
restricting the radiator bypass flow.  This forced almost all the
coolant through the radiator when the thermostat is open but allows a
small flow through the head while the thermostat is closed.

Are the sleeved thermostats " aneroid monstrosities" because you do not
have one?  over the past 25+ years I've found that they work just fine
and provide a long service life.

TeriAnn