[TR] somewhat off topic - bicycles and garages and triumphs

Michael Marr mmarr at notwires.com
Mon Sep 10 07:43:54 MDT 2012

I am a sailor and. therefore, like to complicate such matters :).  I use a
system of blocks (pulleys to the landlubber) to lift the bicycles up to the
ceiling.  Remember to use the largest practical diameter wheel in the blocks
that you select, because frictional forces will then be reduced.  Ideally,
the tackle you design will be chock-a-block (ie the lower block will be
tight against the upper block) before the handlebars hit the ceiling.  Yes,
this is indeed the derivation of the term chock-a-block, meaning packed in
tightly.  And, further off topic, my Dad, who was a product of the Royal
Navy, used to complain about being "chocker" when he was fed-up - same
derivation.  I love the English language!

Capt. Mike (Master, Gt Lakes & Inland Waters, 100 Gross Tons)