[TR] Silver-painted TR3A/B oil filler caps -- any details regarding shade?

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 10:01:23 MDT 2012

On 9/7/12 7:33 AM, Don Hiscock wrote:
> Thanks, TeriAnn --

OK, I just looked the cap up in the TRA concourse judging guide to be sure.

"The early and late caps are similar in appearance. Both are domed with
mesh breather filters in the bottom. The
early cap has a flat top profile; the late cap profile has 3 thumb
grips, and a round, domed, profile. Early caps are
black. Late caps are found painted black or hammer-tone (specific color
unknown) gray.

Decal.

A decal is fitted to the oil filler cap tops. Two basic styles of decals
are used. The early decal is divided in
a pattern of concentric circles. Later a pie pattern decal was used. The
following variations are known:
TR2/3 -- Large concentric circle decal, black with white markings.
TR3A -- Large pie-pattern decal, black with white markings.
TR3A -- Little concentric circle decal, black with white markings fits
caps with thumb-holes.
TR3A/3B -- Little pie-pattern decal fits the caps with thumb-holes.
TR3B -- Little pie-pattern decal, Red with white markings (only observed
on some TR3Bs with
hammertone caps)."

There is a hammerite gray which is a darker gray.  Hammerite silver is
more of a gray silver.  Check with the remaining paint bits on your
cap.  It it looks at all like a silvery gray go with the hammerite
silver.  If you guess wrong you can always buy another can & respray.

I get my Hammerite paint from my local ACE hardware.  One had it in
stock on the shelf, the other didn't stock it but made a special order
for me.

TeriAnn