[TR] Factory visit 1957

John Macartney flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 02:39:33 MDT 2012

Andy, I'd speculate it was dubbed a 'competition' car from the outset - and
for two reasons:

1. It's larger fuel tank, different axle ratio and other
bits of kit like the Halda speedpilot equipment and driver specified mods
(e.g. a central handbrake, additional switches and fuseboxes) would be a
departure from normal production spec. Okay, you can convert back to original,
but true Press Cars remained faithful to the spec of the day. Occasionally, a
competition car might be 'borrowed' for a driving evaluation but that didn't
make it a Press car.
2 Whether used for competition or Press work, all cars
owned by or prepared by the company for private individuals would have a
normal tax-paid Coventry licence plate - viz SHP 520 and in this instance HP
was one of several unique Coventry marks. Others (from memory) were DU, HP,
VC, RW, KV and WK.

Jonmac