[TR] On This Day in History

John Macartney flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 11:12:08 MDT 2012

The date(s) would have depended on:

The port of discharge - New York,
Baltimore, Jacksonville, Houston, San Francisco or Portland
The draw-down date
on the Letter of Credit and whether that L/C had been extended or not, and
The
shipping line / vessel availability and the date when space was booked.

By
no means an exact science with many variables - and ultimately a potential
victim of industrial relations on all fronts. I well recall cars stuck in the
UK for anything up to two years after build date because the L/C had expired,
then there were strikes on both sides of the pond and frozen destination
ports.

Jonmac