[TR] 89mm pistons & liners

J.C. Hassall jhassall at blacksburg.net
Thu Oct 11 18:51:19 MDT 2012

On 10/9/2012 3:58 PM, Allen Hess wrote:
> Has anyone used the 89mm piston and liner set? (available from Moss
> and BPNW) It would be for a "street" engine and the improved piston
> design and made in the UK is what interests me more than the
> additional 2mm. It's cheaper now than a year or two ago, but still
> around 2x the standard 87mm set of unknown origin. (anyone know where
> these are coming from these days?)
>
> Any other opinions on engine parts appreciated.
>
> Allen
> TR4
> Bethlehem, PA
I bought a set from BPNW 2 years ago.  The package had a Union Jack on
it.  One wrist pin clip was missing, which took forever to be replaced
by BPNW.  They didn't include ring setting dimensions, and,
interestingly, the rings were a mixed set.  The compression rings were
Deves units, but not the oil ring.  The pistons were feather-light and
very easy to balance dead nuts.  One thing that I ****hated**** about
the pistons was the lack of quality control on the compression
distance.  Since I'm A.R. to a fault, I had to face 3 of them, so they
are all now 0.019 below the deck.  That's a HUGE loss of cylinder
volume.  I was NOT happy.

That said, in two years they may have fixed those issues.

hth

jim

--
Jim Hassall