[TR] A/C

Robert Jones rjones at wfeca.net
Tue Oct 9 16:54:05 MDT 2012

Hi All

Need some advice on A/C.  Took my TR8  to a shop for replacement of
Compressor, Dryer and Expansion Valve.  A/C was cooling but compressor was
making noise.  The shop mechanic (?) installed the  compressor and dryer but
while trying to install the new expansion valve twisted the nut connecting the
condenser off and bent the copper tubing.  Needless to say I brought home a
wounded car.
This was in March.  The car has been stored since in the closed garage.  i
undertook to fix it last week.  Expansion valve very hard to get to,
especially trying to repair connection.  Found the mechanic had left the
condenser line open.  I have purchased a line repair connection and trimmed
the twisted line and now I am  ready to install a new expansion valve.I am now
looking at flushing the system, evac the lines and filling with freon.  I have
a new dryer also as the previous new one was left open.  Question:  Should the
expansion valve be installed before flushing?  Is flushing worth it?  If so,
any recommended solvent?  Wouldn't the new dryer be installed after flushing
and before evac and filling with freon?

Thanks for the help.