[TR] TR6 total ignition advance

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sat Oct 6 10:43:03 MDT 2012

Marty,

The conventional wisdom is to use a vacuum gauge and set the timing at
idle. Refer to the 6 pack forum for info on how many inches of mercury
vacuum is best for the stock engine.

6 pack members state: With fresh points/plugs/cap/rotor/wires, and it
pulls over 18in. of vacuum at idle with an indicated 14 deg. of advance
(damper checked against piston TDC with a dial indicator).

During the winter, I will be getting a good gauge in order to work on my
72 6. I have set it using the static timing method and then making small
adjustments using the micro adjustment on the distro. But I think I
still dont have optimum power. I compare the 72 to the performance on my
TR3 and TR4 and I feel both the 3 and 4 have more power. The 72 runs
fine, sounds fine but just doesnt have the pull of the 3 or 4,
especially on hills in 4th gear.

Bob