[TR] A type overdrive solenoid problem?

Bud Rolofson levilevi at comcast.net
Wed Oct 3 09:49:59 MDT 2012

The OD on my TR6 stopped working so I did the trouble shooting process
in Dan Master's electrical manual and found I have voltage all through
the circuit all the way to the bullet that connects the (yellow with
purple stripe) wire to the solenoid. The voltage can be switched on
and off with the OD selector switch on the column so everything works
up to the point where it connects to the solenoid. But the solenoid
doesn't engage.

So the solenoid is bad right? What has me stumped is that the solenoid
will operate if I hook it directly to an extra battery that I have.
Why would it work with 12 volts directly but not 12 volts through the
circuit? I even swapped out another solenoid from another A type OD
and that one does exactly the same thing. Works with a direct hookup
to a battery but not with the circuit. I checked to see if the
solenoid is grounded and it has continuity according to my meter.

With the solenoid hooked to the system when I engage the OD switch the
voltage goes as far as the bullet but doesn't register at the
solenoid. It's as if the solenoid "clogs" the flow of the voltage.

What could be causing the solenoids to work with a direct battery
(voltage measured at 12.11) but not with the circuit (voltage measured
at 12.75)?

I'm stumped. How can both solenoids work in one situation and not the
other?

Thanks
Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)